Learn more about Leeds Jane Culbreth Library
Board of Trustees
Leeds Library Board of Trustees, appointed by The City of Leeds
Brent Reese, Board Chair
Susan Miller, Vice Chair
History of Leeds Public Library
The Leeds Public Library began about 1923 in two rooms above what was then Whitehead’s Grocery on Ninth Street. In the early 1930s the library moved to Leeds High School with Winnie Carlisle as Librarian. The library moved to a room in City Hall in 1966. Louise Lahan became Librarian when “Miss Winnie” retired in October 1967, after 37 years of service.
The first legally constituted Board of Trustees was appointed in September 1967. Jane Culbreth, a champion of city improvement, was on the Board of Trustees for the Library Development Committee formed in September 1967. Her dream was for a larger library for the city. The existing library bears her name as a tribute for her library work and her many other civic accomplishments.
As public interest and financial support grew, the city leased the building at the present location on Parkway Drive from Ray Little in 1981. The Library opened at its present location in April 1981.
Office: (205) 699-5962
8104 Parkway Drive
Leeds, AL 35094